My Rules for Online Safety
- I will not give our personal information such as
my address, telephone number, parents' work address/telephone number
or the name and location of my school without my parents' permission.
- I will tell my parents right away if I come across
any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will never agree to get together with someone
I "meet" online without first checking with my parents. If my parents
agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and
bring my mother or father along.
- I will never send a person my picture or anything
else without first checking with my parents.
- I will not respond to any messages that are mean
or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get
a message like that. If I do, I will tell my parents right away so that
they can contact the online service.
- I will talk with my parents so that we can set
up rules for going online. We will decide the time of day that I can
be online, and appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access
other areas or break these rules without their permission.
These tips are excerpted from Child Safety On
the Information Highway by Larry J. Magid. They are reprints with
the permission of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
(NCMEC). Copyright © 1994. All rights reserved.